Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Do Your Best And Don't Worry

This week I received the surprising news that as far as my department and department head are concerned, I had a very good 2007 indeed. As I indicated to my department head, I had been expecting far worse. The merit score is still far from a done deal; the department heads now have to make their cases to the College Dean. From there it goes to the Provost, who has proven herself quite capable of not signing off on things she's not completely good with. And only God (that is, not even the University President) knows what kind of a raise my exalted merit rating will net me. So I won't be holding my breath. The most important thing is that I did my best for dear old 901 South National last year... and it didn't go totally unappreciated.

What I hear from elsewhere is far less happy. The residual discontent from last year's merit process, along with the drive to repackage, repackage, repackage, has apparently been eating away at faculty morale. Now that the culture of accountability has lodged itself into workload discussions, the circle of yowlers is expanding beyond the asshats-n-looters community. Wait until the University adopts (as I am sure the University will) an "activity reporting solution" called Activity Insight. Those of us who walk right up to the microphone to account for our time will be happy for anything which helps streamline the process. The asshats will be up in arms. With a little luck, maybe they can be coaxed to get off the stage.

No comments: